Thursday, October 10, 2013

3-Month Anniversary in Peru

Wow! Feels weird to write that.. Has it really already been 3 months?! 

When I arrived in July, I had no idea what it would take to adjust to living here. There were lots of doubts, but lots of faith that this is where I needed to be and everything would work out. 

Sure enough, things seem to be working, and I don't feel like a stranger or a guest here anymore (at least not all the time). Sometimes, they still serve us the biggest portion of food and it doesn't seem like we have much say in the matter. Otherwise, we have adapted to the routine and make our own schedule within it. We now know the routes to places around the house and know how to ride the combi. We know how to work the stuff in the kitchen and are capable of going grocery shopping. I still don't understand everything that is spoken to me, but can catch on to most things. And like everyone else here, I can complain about the cold. I am definitely acclimated to my surroundings and can say, "Sí, ya estoy acostumbrado a Peru/Lima!" 

Also, the family has adapted to some of our ways. When we first got here, it seemed we would never be able to go anywhere alone because they were all worried we would be harmed or taken advantage of for being women and foreigners. As time has gone by, they have loosened up and now give us advice on how to navigate our surroundings rather than just saying we shouldn't do this, that, or the other thing. We even have our own set of keys! By their standards, we wake up late and go to bed early, so they try to give us instructions before these things happen. Haha. And we can eat more or less on our own terms (but we live with 6.5 (Wilfredo technically doesn't live with us, but he eats most meals with us, so he is the 0.5) other people, so sometimes we just have to make exceptions). 

I still have a whole bunch to learn, the language included, but everyday of these last 3 months has certainly been an adventure and a learning experience! 

I was thinking I would add a quote from the Bible, so I clicked on my bookmarked scriptures from church and this was the first to pop up..seems fitting. ;)

Philippians 3:12-14 MSG (But NIV and DHH are also good versions!) 

"I’m not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don’t get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back."

~nos vemos~
P.S. Next week, Wednesday, we head to Huanuco, and the adjusting, acclimating, and living in Peru experience will restart and throw everything off. Ready, set, go!  

P.S.S. Here are some long overdue pics of our living quarters.. 

 My bed! Sorry, I didn't make it up all nice. I currently have 5 blankets on it. I hope that some day I will be able to remove layers of them. It is currently being warmed up a bit by my corn bag, compliments of my Grandma with the assistance of Lela to get it to me. :) 
Here is computer land! It's quite a site to see all 5 chairs filled and us hammering away at our keyboards, listening to assorted music, praying the internet doesn't kick off in the middle of something important. We make it work. 

No comments: