Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Learning Spanish in a Spanish Speaking Country

At the beginning of the month, Melissa & I started taking Spanish classes at a school called Peruwayna. I knew we would be taken care of the moment they said "you are a special case" because we sort of know how to speak Spanish and can understand fairly well, but we have some major grammar problems. So, we ended up in our own class together!

Side note: I thought about doing the private class so that I could ask more questions and feel comfortable, but it was a bit more expensive. Win for not having to pay more for a private class! 

The first week went quite well. We talked over what we wanted from the class and our teacher, Carolina, recognized some of our weaknesses and adjusts the lesson plans as we go. It sucked sometimes to have to go back over super basic things, but if you don't know why you do something it is hard to put it into context. At the end of the first week I felt like I was worse at Spanish than when I started because I could recognize more things I was saying incorrectly. *Womp womp* The bright side, was that we made it through pre-intermedio 1 and started pre-intermedio 2 in a week and had relearned the past indicative, past perfect, and imperfect tenses, which are all very important when trying to tell people stories (which you do a lot of when telling people about your experiences and life)!

The second week of class was a bit different as we had a 3rd person in our class. Her name is Emily and she is from London, living with her fiance in Peru for about 2 years as he is there for work. I learned that suckers are called lollies and that people do not talk to each other on the train when commuting about London. Haha. It didn't drastically change the tone of the class, but it was different as I feel like we covered fewer things and individually we had less time to talk and practice. We still learned important things, like the subjunctive for expressing wishes and desires for other people, the future, when to use the imperfect v. past indicative v. past perfect, and some phrases. I like the infinitives most. ;)

Now, we are into our third week, and back down to just Melissa and me. We are developing more of the subjunctive tense and using more complex sentences rather than sounding like beginners all the time (though with how slowly I speak, I am sure I am not fooling anyone). I am making progress.. poco a poco.

In due time, it'll all come together, right?!

At any rate, I am enjoying the experience of learning things in class and then returning home and practicing with the family. I hope they don't mind the stumbling through sentences and I hope I don't offend anyone in the process.

~nos vemos~

An update about the combi experience (and a sign of progress, I think): I didn't have to repeat myself 5x today to tell the cobrador where I wanted to go! Once was enough! And I didn't get charged an extra S/. .50! S/. 2 was enough! Here is the route from Callao to Miraflores on the "S" combi, more or less. It takes about an hour and 15 min to get there in the morning in traffic and about 45-60 min to get home in the afternoon. Just ask Melissa, it is not a short trek, but worth it.


View Larger Map

No comments: