Monday, February 24, 2014

Good Times...and Rock Slides

We successfully and safely made it back to Lima from Huanuco! 

The one person directing traffic...
Being that the events are most recent in my mind, today's rock slides are becoming the biggest part of the weekend. It is rainy season and rock slides are common, so it was not completely out of the realm of things we were going to encounter on our trip. However, it was a new experience. The first rock slide we encountered only delayed us for a few minutes. The rocks were still falling - yikes! I'm not sure what the situation was, but the semi-trucks couldn't pass so we had to go around them. Then, we get to the front and a group of guys yelled when it was safe to go, but to go quickly. So we did and prayed that rocks wouldn't fall on us. Obstacle #1 down! 

Where's the road?!


Then, we come upon another stop and we wait a bit to see what's happening, then we move up a little bit, then we wait a little more, then we get directed over to a side path, at which point I was thinking it was a way to go around. Well, no. It was just a way to squish more cars together. We got stuck there for about 2 hours. It was a hot mess of mud and rocks, and like the first one, they were still falling. There were a handful of tractors and lots of workers on hand trying to clear it up. Everyone was getting out of their car to watch. Lots of waiting. In the end, we had to get 2 very long lines of traffic into 1 lane and deal with on-coming traffic. We left the house at 5am. We arrived at Obstacle #2 at 6am and finally got moving around 8am. What was supposed to be an 8-10 hr trip, depending on stops, became an 11.5 hour long ordeal. It's gonna take me a few days to recover. Haha. 





However, don't misconstrue the primacy of the rock slide  for things not going well in Huanuco, because they did! We got together last Tuesday to figure out what ministry we were going to bring and we had this great plan. Then we showed up, and the plan quickly started falling by the way-side. I was a bit worried that all of the things we planned were going to get the boot. I felt they were important things, but everyone kept putting things off, later and later. Overall, everything came together and worked out. I never did the class with kids that I planned, but oh well, maybe when we go back I can do it. Everything else we had planned, we did though. I felt like we had some good discussions and people had a few takeaways from the weekend. We'll see if anything gets taken to heart or not. Only time will tell. I know it's been nearly 8 months that I've been working on Peru-mode, but I still like lists and plans. I just have to keep reminding myself that it will all work out like this weekend. It was really a very enjoyable and productive time. 

At any rate, I had fun being back at Huancachupa (I never left the house) and seeing the family. 

Something like Picante de Pollo...nom!
I definitely appreciate Carolina's awesome cooking!

 I only have a couple of bug bites. 

It was nice to spend time with Eynor again, though he mostly just wanted to play Plants v. Zombies on my phone. He did let me take turns with him playing Minion Rush. 

Tingo Maria!
Yimi had another break from work and finished an art project - he painted one of the photos we had from our trip to Tingo Maria. 




We also got to play with the dogs, which is now down to a count of 3 - Oso, Loki, and Mojada. 
They promptly got my clothes all wet and muddy when we arrived as they very excitedly started jumping up at us, but it was good to see them healthy again! 

Mojada and Loki










And in initiation to Huancachupa fashion, we went on a hike to introduce Marlene to the hill. 

Marlene and Eynor taking a break at the top of the hill.


 
We are all set to head back mid-April to spend one more month with the Huanuco congregation. :D 

~nos vemos~

No comments: