Saturday, November 23, 2013

Dog Blog


Here at Huancachupa, we live with 6 dogs, and encounter many more on a daily basis. The dogs have become our friends and are involved in many of our conversations. A bit odd for the non-dog-lover that I am, but I admit, I enjoy these dogs.

So, the cast is Oso (bear), Loki (from Thor, which I thought was Lucky until recently), Scotty (like the Scott brand TP), Mojada (Wet), Pom Pom (aka Pelusa - fuzz/hairy), and Hueso (bone). I think it is hilarious they just use common words to name their dogs. This dog is always wet, let's call her wet...hence, Mojada.

As for the non-dog-lover business, I greatly dislike when they rub their wet noses on me, try to lick me, jump up on me when they have muddy/wet paws, or snap at me. I am also not a huge fan of the crazy barking fits that keep me from sleeping or wake me up at ridiculous hours. Ugh.

However, I am becoming a fan of their companionship. For instance, often, I will find Pom Pom sitting under my chair or bounding at me for pets..and it's so dang cute. This I can appreciate. Also, a while back, we went to the river to wash our clothes, and this guy was very curious and kept coming over to us and bothering us until Scotty and Loki showed him whose boss and barked a good deal at him to keep him on edge. He asked me if they bite, so I told him they did, even though I haven't seen them bite anyone. Always a possibility though.. At any rate, he stopped bothering us.

It is also fun to learn their personalities. Hueso, Pom Pom, and Mojada are the puppies of the group They are super playful and like to bite each other when playing. Oso, Loki, and Scotty are the older dogs.

Hueso is the curious one and always has his ears up and alert to find out where he needs to go next. Melissa complains that this is the reason he has the most insects living in his ears..it's gross. But he is always there if anything is happening. And if Melissa is involved, she is in her lap or as close to in her lap as he can be. The other day, he wiggled his way into her lap while she was squatting down petting another dog. As Melissa says, "He's a mess."





Pom Pom has a thing for (or maybe against) Rolen and barks like crazy when he come to visit. It's hilarious. The other day, he came in and she started barking, and this time he sort of played around with her. For some reason, she thought she would find cover in the sink, but really just cornered herself. It was great. She is also called "the kitchen witch" because she guards the kitchen. The first night I was here, she bit my ankle when I was going into the kitchen, and she continues to guard the kitchen now, but it easier on my ankles. She is always waiting for more food and always drinking water, like she is deprived or something, which she in fact, is not. I think she is the cutest.






Mojada is Melissa's favorite because she is a trouble-maker. She is a little under the weather at the moment, but when she is at full health, she is always causing trouble and getting into fights with the other dogs. She is super energetic and thinks she is the queen of the house. She has decided she is allowed to sit on the couch in the living room. Haha. Mischievious little girl.












Oso is the oldest of the dogs and we refer to him as the grumpy old man. He has this hilarious growl that is real deep and piggish sounding. Cracks us up. When you pet him, he smiles with teeth. Also, he waits up for us to get back when it is dark. The other night, we got back around 8pm and sure enough, he came bounding at us, growling - we think he was scolding us for getting back when it is already dark. Then, he wanted pets. He's my favorite.




Loki is the biggest of the dogs and is very mellow. He sort of has sad eyes that remind me of Eeyor. He always walks up to me and just stares at me with his sad eyes...pet me, pet me. He typically lays on the ground in front of our room, which is also next to the bathroom. So, when I want to shower, I have to drag my bucket of water to the bathroom. The first few weeks, Loki wouldn't move and then I would splash water all over him trying to lift the heavy bucket over him and balancing between all the dogs legs finding a place to step. Now, when he hears me coming with my water, he gets up and moves. We have a good system.


Scotty is Fabrizio's dog from Lima. He is a very independent dog and likes to go exploring. He is the one that shared his sickness with Mojada, so he has been a bit more chill, but he is getting better and likes to play a bit more now. He is the culprit of all of the muddy paw prints on my jeans. Tisk tisk. Also, he is a very smelly dog. I think he has gas. Unfortunately for us, he enjoy the piece of ground right in front of the door to our room the most. Needless to say, he gets pushed away a lot. Poor guy. He's a good dog though, after all, he did protect us at the river.








So yea, these dogs are fun and have become our friends of Huancachupa. They can be obnoxious, but they're cute sometimes too.

And wouldn't you know - they like to dance too! Check out our video of them getting down. :)


~nos vemos~

No comments: