Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Jugerías!

The other day, we headed to the center of Lima to pick up some items for Children's Day. This market is huge! We wove up and down in and out and I am not sure how we didn't get lost. Unfortunately, they were sorely lacking in Superhero decorations, but it was still a fun trip and fairly successful otherwise. 

Last time I was in Peru, I went to get juice at least once a week. It is just so dang good! All ingredients are fresh and natural, the atmosphere is interesting, and it sort of makes you feel like a local. Haha. 

When we were making our way through the Lima market, I had a craving for some jugo/juice. And sure enough, right down the ramp from where we were standing was the place to be! 

We looked around at 2 or 3 vendors and then I saw something I wanted to try, and before I said yes, the lady started making it, so we pulled up a stool at the counter. It was not on the main route, so not a lot of traffic walking by. We were surrounded by chicken vendors, hence the birds hanging in the background of the picture of Melissa. Luckily, it did not smell horrible, so it was actually quite a good spot to sit. 


 


My juice was simply called "combinado." I can't remember all of the fruits she put in, but there was mention of mango and papaya, and honey. It was delicious. Simple and juicy. 

Melissa ordered "banana con leche," which was banana blended with milk and algarrobina. Mm mm mm. 

By the way, they do make them with vegetable juice too, which I would also highly recommend. 

Whenever I pass through a market, I try to take in where the jugerias are, because you just never know when you're gonna get a hankerin' for some fresh squeezed juice. ¡Salud! 

~nos vemos~

No comments: