Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Beginning a Phase of My Life in PERU!

Hey there!

I had a blog once upon a time for an English class, but I haven't used it in a long while. However, I am now living abroad for the year, so it seems like a good time to get back into this.


I just moved to Peru on July 10th and will be here for approximately 1 year. After just 14 days here, I am glad to report that things are going smoothly. However, there are still a lot of things to learn..like Spanish! 


Here is a little background on why I am here.. My church, Community of Christ, sponsors this program called World Service Corps (or El Cuerpo de Servicio Mundial). I believe its main purpose is to introduce young adults to the world and experience how other people live - with our connection being the church. For example, I am from the US and I am learning about the people, culture, and C of Christ church in Peru. One day in May 2013 (yes, not that long ago..), Laura, my friend interning for WSC, contacted me and said they had a position open in Peru...and of course I said YES! 


It was a crazy and hectic 2 months of packing, leaving jobs, and saying goodbye to everyone. I am glad to have made it over that hurdle. It was a lot of stress and I hate saying goodbye. I always end up crying. I know it isn't forever, but it just happens. 


That whole situation has encouraged me to make sure I do a good job keeping in touch with family and friends while I am gone, which means I have been learning a lot about phone apps and computer programs that facilitate keeping in touch. My most used programs are: Facebook, Kik, iMessage, Skype, Vine, Instagram, G-chat, and E-mail. Granted, they all rely on me having access to internet, which I have had consistently so far. (I will need to figure out what I am going to do when I move to Huanuco, as they might not have such a sweet deal...) In the meantime, communication is possible! 


This is good enough for now. I have a year to give you the scoop and share more of the exciting things I encounter in Peru! 


~nos vemos~




(Jhonny, Rocio, Me(Katrina), Laura, Melissa, Graciela, Wilfredo, & Karen) 



No comments: